"There is value in doing your best every day."
The next generation
Henry’s sons grew up digging pits by hand, wheeling concrete and sweeping up the job site.
Today, they’re all part-owners in the company and proud to see the family name on a project.
Phil Schilthuis, Estimator
Aaron Schilthuis, Site Supervisor
Tim Schilthuis, Project Manager
"Everything we have is a gift to share with others."
Our success isn’t ours alone: it’s something we share with the communities we’re a part of. Schilthuis donates time, expertise, materials and dollars to schools, churches and non-profit organizations, including Mission Services, Lynwood Charlton Centre, Neighbour to Neighbour Centre, Redeemer University College and children’s sports teams. We believe in chipping in, sharing the wealth and offering a hand up, whether it’s helping a struggling employee, hosting monthly barbecues at the food bank or gathering carloads of toys for kids at Christmas.
"We're all pulling together on the same rope."
Construction shouldn’t be about litigation or labour disruption. We work together to resolve conflict, whether it’s with project owners or our own employees—a principle we put on paper when we helped form the Christian Trade Union of Canada in 1960 (now the Christian Labour Association of Canada). To this day, our employees and many of our subtrades are members of CLAC. Our negotiations are based on the principles of integrity, fairness, trust and working together, and bargaining takes place in the board room, not the job site.
Good work gets recognized
- 2016 - Award of Merit – Renovation (Small) Institutional HBSA Awards
- 2015 - Niagara Community Design Award x 2
- 2014 - OGCA Distinguished Achievement in Health and Safety
- 2014 - Business Excellence Award, Haldimand County
- 2013 - Harm Schilthuis inducted into the Hamilton Halton Construction Association Hall of Fame
- 2013 - OGCA Distinguished Achievement in Health and Safety
- 2012 - Ontario Builder Awards, Honourable Mention – Category 1 – Buildings for the Dunnville Memorial Arena.
- 2011 - Urban Design and Architecture Award
- 2011 - Hamilton Heritage Recognition Award
- 2006 - Ontario Concrete Award